Sunday, April 10, 2016

Aiden My Angel - Very Sad Love Story (can make you cry)

 This story is not based on fiction or fantasy, but a story of true and beautiful love. A love that was full of life and color, that was never dull or quiet. A love that was truly one of a kind. We had a beautiful beginning and a wonderful middle sadly however we never got our happily ever after...

Aiden and I first met in our Freshmen year of High school in our English class, lets say it wasn't exactly love at first sight. In fact we practically hated one another, we were constantly at each others throats and we were both too stubborn and hot headed to get past this strange wall of anger that had been built between us. Towards the middle of Freshmen year we had finally reached talking terms, and by the end of it we were hanging out everyday at lunch and almost every other day outside of school, but Sundays were the one day we were always together because we both attended the same church. We were constantly questioned if we were dating and all that he and I could do was laugh. We were best friends and the thought of people seeing us as more than that seemed simply ridiculous.
Time went on and as Freshmen year ended and the summer began Aiden and I began to spend more and more time together and became practically inseparable. We each had our summer flings with other people but nothing serious, at the end of the day though there he and I were sitting on my patio with a drink in our hands and simply laughing and just talking about the people we met, the things we've done, and places we've been seen over the summer. Before we knew it Sophomore year had finally began. We were finally getting out of that awkward stage of high school and moving up the food chain. Able to drive and at the age where we could finally get a part time job, well at least Aiden could considering that his birthday was a day before school started and mine wasn't until September.

On the first day of school Aiden picked me up in his shiny silver cobalt, not his car of choice but still a car. When arriving at school every one thought that we had finally started dating, much to their dismay we told them we weren't. Time seemed to have flown by it was September and my birthday was less than 3 days away, I could practically taste the slight freedom I would soon receive. On Friday the day before my birthday halls were bustling and excited, ready for the nights football game against our biggest rivals. I had intended on going with Aiden, that was until I found a note in my locker inscribed to me. Opening it, it read "Wear something nice tonight, I have a surprise for you. I'll pick you up at 7. -Aiden"
I was confused, what was Aiden up to? Rushing home I got ready and began to turn my clean room into a unbelievable mess with mountains of clothing. DING DONG. Aiden had arrived right when I slipped on a yellow sundress. I ran down stairs to greet him, he actually surprised me with how good he cleaned up. We walked to his car and we headed off to the city, to my surprise he took me to a nice Italian restaurant and after we had finished we headed to the beach right when the sun was setting. We walked by the water and just talked, as the sun finally set fireworks had suddenly began. It was beautiful and absolutely perfect, I couldn't believe that Aiden came up with this, he was more romantic than I thought. As the light show ended we walked back towards his car when he suddenly stopped us for a moment. "Autumn.." He said looking at me. I could see in his eyes that there was something wrong. "What is it?" I asked unsure.

"There is something I need to tell you that I've wanted to say to you for a long time now... and it's been killing me. So.. here it goes." I stood there for a second and began to chuckle. "I can't believe I'm doing this." .."Aiden what is it?" I felt my heart begin to skip. "Autumn... I love you. I have for a long time... I just never got the chance or rather I was way to scared to tell you. I don't want this to change us, and I'm not looking for you to say it too. I just I can't keep going without telling you this, cause it'll make me sick." He finished and simply looked at me. I didn't know what to do or what to say. "Aiden..." I was in shock. "Like I said Autumn I'm not looking for you to say it back, I just want you to know." He flashed me a smile and slowly turned around.

I stood there petrified. What was this going to do to us? Would it change everything? Of course it would, I was just too afraid to see it clearly or even think about it. I began to walk and I started to realize that this whole time somewhere inside of me I had feelings for him too, I had just repressed them. I was scared but, I guess it's true that you do fall for your best friend. I looked up and Aiden was already by his car waiting for me, all of a sudden I was running. He saw me and began to walk my way and and in an instant I was holding and kissing him. "I love you." I said with a smile stretched across my face.
I could see in his eyes that he was astonished yet as happy as could be. That amazing night I will forever remember because it was the happiest day of my life, September 3rd, 2007.

Days flew by, then weeks, months, and even years. Attending Christmas and Summer vacations with our families who were more than happy that we were finally together, night outs into the city to get dinner, double dates with our best friends, and even voted prom king and queen by our friends senior year. We were in love, blissful and beautiful love. Soon enough we were sitting together at graduation looking back on some of our best memories. The fall after we graduated we attended Virginia Tech together, still as strong a couple as we were in high school. Things were perfect, but like every perfect moment it ends. In the middle of our freshmen year of college I noticed that Aiden was loosing weight and something seemed wrong, he was becoming sick more often than usual and he was tired all the time. It was unlike him and I was beginning to worry, but every time I asked him if he was okay all he said was he's fine or he has a bug. He was never a good liar, and he knew it because every time he told me he was "fine" his eyes became big and his face grew pale. In mid December we we're in my dorm watching a movie while cuddled up on the couch when out of no where he let out a blood curdling cry of agony a sound that I will never forget. I called 911 and the paramedics were there within a few minutes, as they loaded him on the gurney and took him to the ambulance I was a frantic mess. I didn't know what was going on, I was scared I would loose him but I knew that I had to stay positive. I raced to my car and followed behind the ambulance until we reached the hospital. As they took him into the ER I stood in the waiting room impatiently waiting to hear from the doctor. Two hours later Dr. Richards came into the waiting room, I raced up to him ready for answers.
"Doctor what's going on, is he okay?" I asked quickly.
"He's resting right now and you can go see him if you'd like, the cancer is really taking it's toll on his body."
"I'm sorry did you say cancer?" I said in shock.
"Yes I did... I'm sorry did you not know?" He was confused. "No... he never told me.." He lied to me, Aiden never told me about this, any of it. "Autumn, he has pancreatic cancer, the cancer has spread beyond the help of chemo or radiation."
"Wh- what does that mean? He's going to die?"
"I'm afraid so. I'm terribly sorry."
"How long?"
"I diagnosed him a month ago, but because the cancer is at an advanced stage I give him 5 months, 8 if he's lucky."
"5 months? That's it?"
"I truly am sorry." I stood there silent.
"Can I see him now?" I asked through tears.
"Of course." We walk through the double doors past patients and working nurses and doctors. We had finally made it to Aiden's room where he was resting.
"I'll leave you two alone." He closed the door behind him.

I stood there not moving just looking at Aiden, and when he looked back I could see in his eyes that he knew. "Doc told you huh?" He chuckles. "How can you be laughing?" I say astonished. "Autumn.."
"Don't... you knew this whole time and you... you never said anything. Not one word." I felt the tears coming.
"I tried to tell you... but the face you have right now was exactly what I was scared of seeing if I told you."
"So what you were just going to wait until you were dead for me to find out?!" I couldn't hold my anger anymore.
"No! Because I wanted us to be as normal as we could! I... I don't want things to change Autumn, I don't want this to change us. I don't want the rest of what ever I have left spent in a bed just waiting for me to rot and die." His voice was beginning to crack. I was speechless, I knew then why he didn't say anything. He was scared just like I was, and there I stood feeling like a big bag of shit.

I walked over to him and sat on the edge of the bed taking his hand. "Aiden that's not going to happen I promise. And I'm sorry, but you and me, we don't have secrets, we never have. So from this moment on, no more secrets. Deal?" He smiles. "Deal." I kiss him on the head. From that moment on there were no secrets, no more hiding, no more tears, and no more sadness. From that moment on our love was brighter and stronger than ever. We spent every waking moment together just taking advantage of the time we had left. Two months passed then three and as I began to have hope things took a turn for the worst, at four months Aiden wasn't able to walk much or stand, his health was decreasing rapidly and his body was steadily loosing its mass. It was hard for me to watch him endure this, but I wasn't going to leave him.

I remember April 12th 2011 like it was yesterday. We were sitting in the hospital like the days earlier. He was laying in bed as I was reading him a book. "You wanna know something?" He asked looking at me, his voice almost inaudible.
"What?"
"Sometimes I imagine that you and me are like people in a book that fall in love and have a happily ever after. I'm jealous of them though, because I won't ever get my happily ever after with you."
"Aiden.." I put down the book and sit on the bed. "Lets worry about the here and now okay? Besides we had a great fairy tale of our own though."
"You made a a great princess Autumn, better than all the others." He said making a smile as big as he could. "And you were a terrific prince that sweep-ed me off my feet." I laid next to him and he kissed the top of my head. "I love you baby." He whispered.
"I love you too." And the tears began.
We fell asleep together that night and at 1:09 am on April 13th, 2011 Aiden Wyatt Montgomery passed. Some how I knew that night we spent together would be his last and in a way I guess I accepted it I certainly wasn't okay with it however, but I knew that he was in a much better place.

It has been over a year since Aiden passed and not a day goes by that I don't think about him or miss him. He was everything to me, my love, hope, inspiration, partner, confidant, and prince. Many people have their ideas of love and have many different experiences. Love can come and go, but the memories never fade. Love really is like a fairy tale, the prince and princess fall in love, they face a bumpy road and an adventure along the way, and they live happily ever after. Sadly that isn't the case for me because my book keeps going even though I wanted it to end with Aiden. If I have learned anything from being with him, it's that love is never perfect but it's stronger than anyone could ever imagine, it just has to be put to the test. Where ever Aiden may be I will never forget him and I will always love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment